Friday, March 10, 2006

Copper's Story

I rescued Copper the basset hound several years ago when his family gave him up due to a divorce. I rescued Copper the basset hound several years ago when his family gave him up due to a divorce. Copper came with some medical baggage. He has epilepsy, and from the minute he came into my house, I could tell that he had been over medicated. He tended to lay round the house and sleep a lot, which is not really typical for a basset hound.
I had some blood tests done and got his medication regulated, and found that Copper had a very silly and calculating personality.
In future posts, I'll share some of Copper's antics. I'm sure they will make you chuckle.

On March 8, 2006, Copper was diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma. He had not been feeling well over the weekend, so I took him to the vet on Monday March 7th. The vet felt his lymph nodes and found that the majority of them were enlarged. So tests were run. The tests came back confirming her suspicions, so x-rays were taken, and an appointment was made for him to see an oncologist. The oncologist reviewed all of the paper work and recommended that he start chemo-therapy. He was given his first treatment during the visit. He goes back on Monday, March 13th.
While Chemo is very expensive, after talking to the Doctor, I felt that he deserved to be given the chance to live for another year which is the doctors best guess at his life span. I plan to conduct lots of research on lymphoma in animals and see if there are other things that can be done to prolong his life. The one thing I will not do is to try and prolong his life if he cannot have a good quality life.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home