Monday, April 17, 2006

Half Body Radiation Visit -- 4/17/06

Today, Copper had the top half of his body radiated (sounds bad doesn't it?). The session took place at 2:30 pm, and I was able to take him home around 5:30 pm.

To do radiation, he did need to be put under anesthesia because they needed him to stay very still while they did the radiation session. The oncologyst that did the session told me that it takes about 15 minutes to set up the session & put him under anesthesia, the session lasts 10 minutes, and then the rest of the time is waiting for the drugs to wear off enough for him to come home.

When I went to pick him up, he was pretty mellow.... and the vet said he will probably sleep well tonight. They also had to shave a little strip on his back, and on his tummy, and then spray paint the strip. This was so they knew what part of his body they did. So he has a green strip on his back, tummy and head. Poor guy he is looking pretty funny right now.

Because they did the top half of his body, they don't expect any side effects (other than being doped up). I'll write about any that I notice.

Here is the breakdown of today's session. I should mention that I got a good deal on the treatment. Because they are trying to get people to use this treatment, they charged me 1/3 of what it would have normally cost. Dr. Crow is hoping that if they can get more people to try it, they can gather more data on the treatment. He said that they have gone as far as they can with chemo, and would like to try and get more dogs in remission for longer than 1 year.

CTC Propofol/Isoflurane 1st 30...........$249.40
CTC Treatment Plan/Simulation.........$225.00
Regulatory Agency Compliance fee........ $ 4.23
CTC Treatment FX (Linac) 1-5 Per........ $21.37

Total: ............................................$500.00

Grand Total: .......................................$2338.97

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Copper, you nap as long as you need to so you will feel all better when you wake up. Smack my brother around if he laughs at your green stripes. I bet they're dashing!

Your furend and sister from afar,

Agnes Marie Basset Hound
and Lucille too!

Mon Apr 17, 09:24:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Copper,
We sure hope that this makes you better for a very long time...my momma talks about you all the time and shows us treats way high in the air and then we drool into buckets to send all to you. Feel better buddy.

Your pals,
Otis & Maggie

Tue Apr 18, 02:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger 3 bassets said...

Thank you so much for all the drool! It seems to be working! I've been sleeping most of the day, but my mom has given me some treats and even sat with me and petted me tonight!

Woof,
Copper aka "Joe Friday"

Tue Apr 18, 08:17:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home