Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Copper aka "Joe Friday" 1996-2007

I helped Copper make his journey to the bridge today. Last night we spent some time together saying good-bye which made today a lot easier for me. It touched my heart that some many people came to see him off on his journey. Copper had made so many friends at the vet hospital, they all wanted to see him off on his journey. Dr. McDonald and Copper's girlfriends Kristy and Sarah (his vet techs) along with several of my friends were with him as he was put to sleep. It was painless for him and he went very peacefully. Afterwards, my friend Heidi brought out a balloon with a treat attached to it. We all wrote something special about Copper and we released the balloon into the sky. As we were leaving the hospital, the balloon could be seen floating higher and higher as if it was following Copper on his way to the bridge.

I want to thank Dr. McDonald, Dr. Sfiligoi, Kristy and Sarah for the wonderful care they gave Copper over the last two years. Their love and the attention they gave Copper helped me through a very tough experience, and they will always be in my heart.

If someone were to ask me if I would make the decision that I did last March when Copper was diagnosed with cancer, I would say yes. For while the last few days have been very hard, I had the opportunity to enjoy knowing Copper for almost two additional years. If anyone ever has to go through this experience, and wants to talk to someone about it, please feel free to contact me.

While I will no longer be posting in this blog, it is here as a tribute to Copper and a resource to those whose pets are facing lymphoma.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Bye Copper!!! Home you get your own cloud and kewl wings and stuff..you fought a very good fight right to the end..we are all proud of you.

Yur Furend FOreber
Bob the DOg

Tue Oct 30, 07:46:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I remember when you got Copper. I feel your pain. He will be greatly missed! I always enjoyed reading about the boys. He was blessed to have you. Lisa, Cliff/Gilly ATB, Wednesday, & Baby Boot

Tue Oct 30, 08:40:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for leaving up this blog. My dog Teemu's lymphoma has come out of remission and we are starting CCNU. It is helpful to know what others' experience with it has been.

Thu Sep 08, 11:12:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for leaving this blog. My lovely basset hound Gus got diagnosed with probable lymphoma on this last Friday. We are still awaiting the final report but the vet was more than sure and gave him 4-6 weeks to live without chemo. He looks just the same except for the big lumps on his neck. Yesterday he had the same energy and enthusiasm like before. Today he is a little slow and his eyes are behaving funny! I know something is wrong and my wishful thinking to he prelim report might be wrong ....well it's just thinking. It's hard to believe that he is suffering from something so deadly when he still looks the same.

Mon Apr 16, 12:51:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home